Saturday, April 4, 2015

Monthly Favorites ~March 2015~

So the month has passed! I had a few posts to make before I could get to this one, but here's what I was obsessed with in March!


BOOKS


A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

I finally managed to read this, after wanting to for years and years. I'm sad I didn't read it sooner, because I think I would've liked it more if I'd read it as a teen.



From Far Away by Kyoko Hikawa

This was one of my favorite manga in high school and the beginning of college, but I've never been able to purchase it since Borders went out of business. And even then it was hard to find it. But I found it online and have been rereading it, and I still love it!
Check out what else I read in my March Wrap Up

MOVIE


How to Train Your Dragon 2

I finally got to see this, and BOY is it GOOD! I adored it and watched it twice!

VIDEOS


This video is hilarious. Disney set up a fake construction zone and then had Disney characters mimic those passing by. Apparently they've been doing this in several malls all over America and Canada. I wish they'd come to my town!



Here is the master himself, JRR Tolkien, reading the brilliant Riddles in the Dark, where Bilbo meets and beats Gollum at his own game. While it's different from the movie's interpretation, the movie really is close. Especially how Andy Serkis does Gollum! IT'S JUST LIKE TOLKIEN! If your fan in the slightest you really should listen to it! It goes faster than you'd think!



Ya'll should know that I love me some violinists, with Lindsey Stirling and certain YouTuber mentioned below. I found this on Tumblr, and had to track down the vid on YouTube so I can listen to it all the time! DSharp does Glad You Came, and BOY is it good! His performance goes beyond just the music, making it fun to watch as well as listen. Very well done!

YOUTUBER


Taylor Davis

Ya'll should know about her from my 2014 Music Favorites. I found her because of her amazing Legend of Zelda covers, but she has quite few covers, and now has her own album out! She's very talented and I love listening to her music.

BOOKLR


bookandwords

Heather from bookandwords was the first real member of Booklr that I followed. She's obsessed with Criminal Minds and books, so her picture is always of Reid reading. :)

MUSIC


Crazy by 4MINUTE

This is my favorite of the month by far. I fell in love with the dancing in the choreography video and then got the song in my head, and now I can't stop listening to it!



I Want You to Know by Zedd ft. Selena Gomez

I was alerted to this awesome song by Spotify, and I just keep listening to it. It's really well done!



Piece by Piece (Album) by Kelly Clarkson

Kelly Clarkson's newest album dropped, and it's really well done! I liked Heartbeat Song when it came out, and then the album dropped, and I just loved it!



The honorable mention is Selena. March 31st was the 20th anniversary of her murder. I grew up in a predominately Mexican area of town, so I heard her music everywhere. First I fell for her music, and then for what she stood for. Then I saw the movie and learned her story and what she faced, and the tragedy of her murder when she was only 23. Selena was the first woman to sing Tejano music to ever do well, all while barely being able to speak Spanish (she was born and raised in Texas). But she kept performing, despite being booed at along with her brother and sister as kids. By the time she was a teen she was getting bigger, and at 15 she won best in that genre, winning it a total of NINE times. She won a Grammy for Best Mexican/American Album in 1994. Sadly, one year later she was murdered by the president of her fan club, Yolanda Salvidar, who'd been embezzling from her. Selena went to confront her, trying to work things out, and was shot and killed.
I love her music, and found her spirit amazing. She was so hard working, so giving. It was a tragedy to lose her so young. She continued to win awards after her death, as her English album dropped just after. Her family has continued to rerelease her music as her fans are just as strong in their love for her even today. I often find myself in the mood to listen to it. Even now I find myself wanting to cry listening to "Dreaming of You", the title track.


So those were my March favorites! What were you obsessed with this past month? Did you also know about Selena's anniversary?
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment