Friday, October 10, 2014

Free - Poem

Bored (I was supposed to be out of town all day today, but that didn't happen), I wasn't sure if I should edit, write, or watch something. Decided to write, and found a poem floating in my head. It just comes.

Poetry is emotion written out. Writing is using words to paint a picture, but poetry is more free. It's just emotion giving words. It can be really free, empowering, etc. Today I went for something different. I dunno where it came from. Maybe I'm just tired of little peons thinking they're something and attacking people. If you're apart of Tumblr, you know what I mean.

So here it is. Free.


The world with its voices
Scream for attention
YOU’RE NOT THIS
YOU’RE THAT
NOT GOOD ENOUGH
NOT SKINNY ENOUGH
NOT ENOUGH
NEED THIS
ARE THAT

Lies

Those lies circle
Smelling your fear
Frustration
Anxiety
Like sharks
Hunting
Prowling
Demanding

It’s easy to let them rip at you
Naw at you
Tear you apart
It’s harder to stand
Look them in the eyes
Tear them apart

Remember:
THEY HAVE YOU POWER OVER YOU

Yes
Sometimes they have your mind
Your thoughts
Your emotions
But you can always take it back

It’s not easy
Hell, it’s almost impossible
But remember again:
NOTHING’S IMPOSSIBLE

Go ahead and cry
Wail and scream
Then let a new emotion come over you

ANGER

It has its power
And like fire it can consume
But you choose:
You
Or not
Inward
Or outward

I get angry
At the world
At myself
But mostly at the
Lies

At those that feed it
Knowingly or not
For there is evil
There is a master of evil
And he wants you destroyed
He laughs as we bark at each other
At ourselves

There’s nothing more satisfying
Than following that old advice
“Get thee hence!”
With real power
Real anger
It works

The world still lies
Still tries to break you apart
But in that moment
When the lies are laid bare
Your mind and emotions are yours,
You are truly you
And free

1 comment:

  1. I want this in a book. Or on a print. Or something. I don't know but I'll figure it out. I want it, though. This is awesome. And I'm going to make pretty copies of this every time I have a baby and put it in their room where they can see it. Heck, I'll paint it on the walls. Because kids need to know this.

    ReplyDelete