Monday, March 2, 2015

Books-Cupcakes February Book Photo Challenge Part 1/2

As promised, here's the first half of my Books and Cupcakes Book Photo Challenge for February! I think I'll keep up (as best as I can) with these two parts. It's easier than trying to do it every week, and keeps things clearer.

Check out January Part 1, Part 2!


Day 1: Reading This Month
My TBR looks big, but it wasn't really. I read almost everything, or at least started all of them, except for the Pokemon manga.
Pictured: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor, Scorpion Mountain by John Flanagan, Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce, Captives of Blue Mountain by Wendy and Richard Pini, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelest Vol 7 by Kazuki Takahashi, Pokemon Adventures Vol 5 by Hidenori Kusaka and Mato, and the Jedi Apprentice Series by Jude Watson and Book 1 by Dave Wolverton.


Day 2: Dystopian
I am not a big fan of this genre. The idea of it bugs me. I didn't pick up Divergent until I'd seen the movie (I know, I'm terrible), and because I liked it so much I picked up Legend. But I randomly found and fell in love with the idea of the Shadow Children Series!
Pictured: Legend by Marie Lu, The Shadow Children Series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, Inside Divergent by Cecilia Bernard, Divergent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth.


Day 3: Made Me Cry
Oh man, these titles made me cry! Every time! Especially Harry Potter, I bawled like a baby!
Check out the top 20 books that had me in tears here!
Pictured: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, and Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop; Daughter of the Forest, Son of the Shadows, and Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier; Allegiant by Veronica Roth, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling



Day 4: Couldn't Put Down
Plenty of books fit that description. Like seriously, over half my shelf fit that. BUT! I thought I'd mention some favorites that all were read in 1 day.
Pictured: The Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop, The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling


Day 5: Makes Me Smile
My username on Tumblr is LorienKittyBooks, so kitties and books always make me smile! I also found it very fitting that my kitty's mostly black, and I have a manga called Black Cat, that makes me smile when I read it.
Another thing that makes me smile: the fact that my cat is terrified of cameras and now books. He looks really frightened because I cornered him to take this picture...and he looks like I hit him or something. Nope. What you see is what happened. My poor chicken boy!!! XD


Day 6: Romantic Comedy
This past month was full of love, a book genre I'm not a big fan of. However, back in high school my friend got my addicted to this manga, which is shojo, meaning for girls, aka mostly romance, or romance is a big part of the story. I only have 2 other shojo on my shelves, but out of the two I've finished reading, this is my favorite. I think it falls into the comedy genre because while is mostly a fantasy romance, the main character Noriko can't speak the same language as Izark, the dude. When flustered she tends to ramble on and on in Japanese, even after she learns his language.
Pictured: From Far Away Vols 1-4 by Kyoko Hikawa



Day 7: Female Author
Over half the books on my shelf are by a female author, but I decided to showcase my manga, which is mostly male authors, and Tamora Pierce. While I don't think Tamora is the best person (she's a misandrist, trust me, not a feminist) her books are amazing and really well done. She's an autobuy basically, and I will continue to do so.
Pictured: Fullmetal Alchemist Vols 1-10 by Hiromu Arakawa; The Legend of Zelda Manga by Akira Himekawa; Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Vols 1 and 16, and xxxHOLiC Vols 10, 11 and 16 by CLAMP; From Far Away Vols 1-4 by Kyoko Hikawa; Page, First Test, The Song of the Lioness Quartet, Shatter Glass, Street Magic, Magic Steps, The Circle of Magic Quartet, Young Warriors, Bloodhound, Mastiff, and The Tricksters Duology by Tamora Pierce


Day 8: Favorite Genre
This is a picture from January, because I was surprised that the exact same title was in two months in a row. But yes, fantasy. That will never change.


Day 9: Non-Fiction
I don't have many books that fit that description, but the ones I have pretty much are large books. I have even more, but I felt this stack was big enough, and my back was killing me enough with just these.
Pictured: The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide by Brian Sibley; Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion by Kate Egan; Battle, War, Warrior, and Weapon by R.G. Grant; and Wicked The Grimmerie by David Cote






Day 10: Graphic Novel
Instead of trying to pick just one series, I decided to show all my graphic novel/manga section, minus my Shonen Jump collection. I love manga, and want to own so many more. In case you don't follow me on Goodreads, I read more manga/comics/graphic novels than books, and have been since just after high school.


Day 11: Books and Candy
I finally started Dreams of Gods & Monsters! Also went out and got a Crunch bar because yum!
Pictured: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor


Day 12: Romantic Cover
Again, romance isn't really my thing. Dengeki Daisy is another favorite manga, perhaps my favorite shojo ever! However it isn't finished, so I'll reserve my feelings until I get to the last chapter! I thought the cover rather romantic, even though the romance isn't even part of the story at this point...
Pictured: Dengeki Daisy Vol 3 by Kyousuke Motomi



Day 13: Fictional BF/GF
While I've had quite a few fictional crushes in my day, most were on minors, and now that I'm not a minor, I've kinda outgrown them. BUT! One is an adult the entire series, and the other has grown up. Number 1 is Lucivar Yaslana from The Black Jewels--BOY is he SEXY!!! Love him to pieces! Him also being the funniest character helps :)--and number 2 is Dick Grayson aka Robin 1 aka Nightwing. He started in the comics with Batman, putting on the cowl at age 8, and by the time I was 12 I had a crush on the 15 year old Robin in Teen Titans. Well, in the comics he's grown up into Nightwing, with his own comic line that just ended and everything! So I can still say he is sexy and hilarious and amazing, cuz he's like 28 or so.
Pictured: Heir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop, image from Nightwing Vol 4: Second City by Kyle Higgins, Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund, and Will Conrad


Day 14: Romantic Read
Okay, sooo over half of these are unread. Told you I haven't read much romance! I basically if it isn't Hawksong or manga I have read 1 page or less (1 page being just one of them). BUT! I own all of these and plan to read them! :)
Pictured: Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes; Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion by Jane Austen; Pretear Vols 1-3 by Kaori Naruse and Junichi Satou; Dengeki Daisy Vol 3 by Kyousuke Motomi; and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


That's it for part 1! I'm not quite done taking pictures for February, so that'll be up later. I hope you enjoyed this!

1 comment:

  1. And now for the first part of February! :D

    TBR: Random single books and then THIS GIANT MOUNTAIN OF JEDI APPRENTICE MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

    I think it's hard to do a dystopian government where it isn't stupid. Veronica Roth manages it because the government doesn't try to pass itself off as perfect, which is the biggest issue with utopia/dystopia as a genre.

    Really? HP7 made you cry? Huh.

    So many books I cannot put down...

    Awww, Strider's such a chicken, lol. :)

    I can't remember why I haven't started From Far Away. You have it all, right? Or no? And it doesn't end dumb, right? Or does it?

    Not a huge fan of Tamora Pierce as a person either. She's done good things, but good things don't outweigh cruel things. Like her books, though. Except her first book, but it's her first. I'll cut her some slack, lol.

    Favorite genre?
    Whoopi Goldberg's angry loud voice: I'M FANTASY!!!
    Whoopi Goldberg's delicate gentle voice: *ahem* I am Fantasy.

    I don't have many non-fiction either...Karl despairs of me.

    So much manga...

    WHY THE FRACK IS THEIR CHOCOLATE ON MY BOO-
    Oh, the wrapper is still sort of on it. Never mind...

    Oh, that's why I haven't read Dengeki Daisy. It's not done yet. He looks kind of scary...

    The problem with Lucivar is he doesn't like to read. I don't know if I could be married to someone who doesn't like reading. Or a guy who would spawn someone like Daemonar because OMG NO!! But I love to snuggle him.
    Hmmm...fictional BF? Jason. Loki. Nuada. Sherlock. Coulson if he were like 5 years younger. Also Theran if he would shape up and stop being scared of girls. Ay-yai-yai.

    You know, I've only read 3 of the books in your romance picture. Well...3 and a 1/2. Guess which ones!

    ReplyDelete