Monday, December 8, 2014

books-cupcakes December Book Photo Challenge Week 1

Hey guys!

So as promised, here's the pictures I posted on my Tumblr along with some more details about why I picked them.

WARNING! SPOILERS FOR RAVE MASTER BY HIRO MASHIMA AND RANGER'S APPRENTICE BOOK 3 BY JOHN FLANAGAN



Day 1: Currently Reading

On the left is Cress by Marissa Meyer. Got a tad bit bored with the world. There's the big plot hole brought up in Cinder, as well as some pansy characters who are driving me batty. Want more details? Check out my Cinder Review and make sure to tune in on Friday for Scarlet!
On the right is Clariel by Garth Nix. This is the fourth book released in Abhorsen series, and is a prequel to the trilogy. I just started it (I'm on page 6) but I'm loving it so far. The world is so rich and the characters are fabulous!



Day 2: Favorite Series

I don't have just 1 series. I have two that sorta tie for very different reasons. On the left is The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. This is the most beautiful series I've ever read. Over and over the language blows me away, making everything else read sloppy or wordy. It's just phenomenal, and it being the greatest fantasy ever really helps.
On the right is The Black Jewels by Anne Bishop. This series is hilarious, heartbreaking, infuriating, awe inspiring, all at once. It really makes you think about gender roles, and how much of it is crap, as well as what we as a people can do to one another. I love it so much and while I have a lot more of Middle Earth to explore, for Black Jewels, that's it. It's over. :(



Day 3: Overrated

I chose Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. While the cover is quite beautiful I can't stand the main character, and the plot is dull to me. I really wanted the fantasy to be all over this book, and it isn't. In fact the best part is the prologue. After that I didn't enjoy it very much at all. This isn't a well known book and not everyone is talking about it, but Ray really built it up for me, and this is a book we were will never agree on. I don't like it, she loves it. It's a favorite for her, it's almost a waste of space for me.








Day 4: Favorite Title

Now I don't have a favorite title. I love books, and I love almost every title I've ever heard. Even 50 Shades of Gray is a good title. So picking a favorite is impossible. HOWEVER this is one book where the CHAPTERS blew me away. In fact, there isn't a single chapter title in this I don't like, and most chapter titles can be strange, not make sense, or just blah to me. These are my favorite. I even had to pause and fangirl over the brilliance of the chapter where Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting, and it's called Chiaroscuro, an art technique of extreme light and darkness playing against each other. I mean, COME ON THAT'S BRILLIANT!



Day 5: Plot Twist

I actually don't OWN the best plot twists in books that I could think of. BUT THIS. RIGHT HERE. OMG. So basically the group of main characters are using this giant crystal to show one another their favorite memories of people, places, and events. It's sweet, touching, funny, beautiful. It's how Haru learns one member is his brother in law (he saw the marriage AND what happened that night ;) ). And right when the character who's missing her memories steps up, THIS HAPPENS. I gasped and stared in horror at this image for a while, and the ones that followed where just as terrible. Cuz the crystal activated and showed what had been happening while the group was gone. TALK ABOUT A PLOT TWIST!!!



Day 6: Snowflakes

I didn't have almost any Christmas Decorations (my dad STILL hadn't pulled them down) and it doesn't snow here. Like, EVER. But I have this bucket that I pulled out and chose the books that first came to mind when I think of snow. East by Edith Pattou is a fairytale retelling of East of the SunWest of the Moon (I think that's it if not TELL ME RAY). The story follows this girl who is tasked with staying with a bear that becomes a man every night. So long as she can sleep next to him without touching him, or looking at him at night for a year, the spell that changes him into a polar bear by day is broken, and she gets a crap ton of money. She fails, and he's swept up to the far north and she has to rescue him. So lots of snow.
On the right is The Ice Bound Land by John Flanagan, book 3 in the Ranger's Apprentice series. Will and Cassandra have been taken as slave to Skandia (Scandinavia in our world), an icy land, and Horace and Halt have to rescue them or else lose them forever. This takes place mostly in the winter, so lots of working and walking through snow and stuff. :)



Day 7: Happily Ever After

I don't read many books that have this, as I don't read a lot of Fairy Tale Retellings. I could've shown my very beat up copy of The Brother's Grimm Complete Fairytales but I didn't want to. Instead, perhaps the best ending to any series I've ever read is in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Epilogue: Nineteen Years Later. It's sweet, and wonderful.


That's what I did last week. I'll be sure to post another one next Monday with this weeks pictures.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment